Category Archives: Community

Starting at Booth with a Marathon Finish: Best Booth Moment Series

During our Winter Break we had an open call for Boothies to share their best moments at Booth. We kickoff this series by presenting to you a post by Kelly Carlquist who started her MBA with a Marathon finish.

Chicago holds a special place in my heart. I was born and raised in the western suburbs, college educated in its north side and, prior to Booth, a resident of Lincoln Park. And so, opening an email that read “Congratulations, Marathon Entry Approved!” meant I had won the lottery granting me the pinnacle experience combining my two great loves – the City of Chicago and running.

Continue reading Starting at Booth with a Marathon Finish: Best Booth Moment Series

Tech Product Management Starter Pack

“Build a better bus system.” In 30 minutes!? Public transportation is a big policy problem in the United States and…Wait, this is a product management interview, the tech industry’s equivalent of casing—trial by fire. In a brief 30-minute interview, case questions are supposed to evaluate your product design sense, your understanding of strategy, and sometimes, analytical skills. As I thought about the hours I poured into interview prep my first year, I knew as Booth Tech Group (BTG) co-chair, I wanted to create an even better Tech PM Workshop this year.

The percentage of Boothies who enter tech has nearly doubled since 2013, from 12% to 20%, and BTG has seen our numbers double, too. We’re proud to say we match Management Consulting Group in number of members. In general, we are seeing more students interested in tech. Specifically, they’re looking at product management, that popular role for new MBAs at Google, Amazon, Facebook, and others. But what is product management? And do you need a computer science degree?

Continue reading Tech Product Management Starter Pack

Behind the Scenes of the 2nd Annual Phoenix Film Festival’s Best Picture

Each year, the Reel Leadership Committee of second year students enlists first year students from each cohort to create a short film. The objective was a little hazy. Were we supposed to create Booth propaganda? Was the target viewer current or prospective students? Was creating something funny the primary goal? At the end of the day, the Reel Leadership Committee simply told us we would be judged on: Execution, Content, and “Boothiness.” Here’s the video we came up with…

Continue reading Behind the Scenes of the 2nd Annual Phoenix Film Festival’s Best Picture

Cue the Lights: Boothies Take the Stage Outside the Classroom

It’s funny to look back on our days as children and think about what we wanted to be when we grew up. My aspirations were volatile, to say the least, but I do remember a few options: a professional athlete, a Navy SEAL, and a rockstar. Today, thanks at least in part to Booth’s celebration of diversity of thought and interests, I can easily identify members of my class whom have worked in each of those professions. What’s even more impressive to me are the number of students at Booth that are taking time to turn their own childhood dreams into reality.

Here are a two of their stories.

Continue reading Cue the Lights: Boothies Take the Stage Outside the Classroom

Reflections of a Kilt’s Marketing Fellow

When I got into Booth, I was fortunate enough to be chosen as a Kilt’s Marketing Fellow. As a part of this experience, I have had the opportunity to interact with Marketing faculty and alumni at special events and to receive mentorship from a member of the Kilts Center Steering Committee. This experience has been instrumental in shaping my time at Booth as it has paved the way for my path during business school and defined my approach on how to leverage the alumni network at Booth.

Continue reading Reflections of a Kilt’s Marketing Fellow