Category Archives: Community

Celebrating National Coming Out Day with OUTreach

Each year, OUTreach – a student organization at Booth working to advance social and professional opportunities for LGBTQ students and allies – hosts a panel of student speakers in honor of National Coming Out Day, and as part of broader Ally Week programming. The goal of the event is to foster a sense of community within Booth and the broader LGBTQ community, as having allies remains an integral part of shaping a world that is inclusive and encouraging of LGBTQ rights.

Continue reading Celebrating National Coming Out Day with OUTreach

Chicago Booth’s CABG Celebrates Nigerian Independence Day

At Chicago Booth, diversity is celebrated as an essential ingredient for creating a rich and vibrant environment. One of the ways Booth supports diversity is through the initiatives from the Chicago Africa Business Group (CABG), whose mission is to build a close-knit community for the growing number of Chicago Booth students with a strong interest in issues, events, and activities related to Africa. This group aims to provide professional support, social interactions, and educational opportunities for their members, and one of their top objectives includes promoting awareness of African culture and heritage within the Booth community.

Continue reading Chicago Booth’s CABG Celebrates Nigerian Independence Day

Spotlight on Hispanic Heritage Month

Hispanic Heritage Month, from September 15 – October 15, celebrates the contributions of Hispanic-Americans who have influenced American culture for centuries. In celebration, The Booth Experience Team is highlighting students Juan Pagan, ’21, and Alexandra Salgado, ’21, as they share their unique experiences. This year, we are celebrating Latinx Heritage Month at UChicago with a series of events and festivities.

I grew up in the Southeast side of Los Angeles, in a predominantly blue-collar Latino neighborhood. My childhood was shaped by stories of heroism from the Mexican Revolution and weekend carne asadas (BBQ’s) surrounded by a close-knit family. When I think of what Latinx Heritage Month means to me, it is a celebration of all of these things—the elements that root me in my culture—but it is also a recognition of the many ways we as Latinos have shaped our own identity in the United States. 

Continue reading Spotlight on Hispanic Heritage Month

Spotlight on Hispanic Heritage Month

Hispanic Heritage Month, from September 15th – October 15th, celebrates the contributions of Hispanic-Americans who have influenced American culture for centuries. In celebration, the Booth Experience Team is highlighting students Juan Pagan, ’21, and Alexandra Salgado, ’21, as they share their unique experiences. This year, we are celebrating Latinx Heritage Month at UChicago with a series of events and festivities.

My HABSA Community

When I was exploring schools to pursue an MBA, a perfectly-timed trip to Chicago for Booth’s Diversity Day solidified my decision. I met both students and alumni who shared my background and experiences, and groups such as the Hispanic American Business Student Association (HABSA), who were eager to support me in my business school journey. As I reflect on my identity and significance for my Booth experience during this Hispanic Heritage Month, I can best summarize it in one word: community

Continue reading Spotlight on Hispanic Heritage Month

Tell Your Story: Van Ha

“Tell Your Story” is a regular series that features one of our Booth community members. In his or her own words, the contributor details their path to Booth and other interesting personal highlights. Enjoy our first edition!

Where are you originally from? And what did you do prior to Booth?
I’m originally from the bustling Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam and moved to Sydney, Australia by myself 11 years ago to pursue higher education and widen my horizons. In 2011, I went to the States for an exchange, then backpacked and traveled across the US for 3 months (visited 14 States) – loved this country so now I’m back for a while! Prior to Booth, I worked in Investments and Wealth Management in Sydney. Besides my full-time job, I co-founded a web/apps development company and we served clients from 8 different countries.

Continue reading Tell Your Story: Van Ha